BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION
The benefits of ASAP-HOSO programming go beyond bringing the joy of science to children in your community. Teachers, parents and volunteers all discover the enrichment that comes with participation. Adults who say, "they were never good at science," find that they look forward to and enjoy doing science activities along with the children.
ASAP-HOSO PROGRAMS PROVIDE CHILDREN WITH:
- The opportunity to explore science in a playful, informal environment that turns ownership of learning over to them.
- Hands on experience. All children participate in every activity with hands on materials, which are then taken home for display, discussion and recognition.
- Year round programming. Parents and children may choose ASAP-HOSO as a regular enrichment activity each fall, winter and spring, without repetition, from ages four to twelve.
ADULT PARTICIPANTS BENEFIT FROM:
- Our expertise in informal science education.
- The convenience of complete program materials. We shop for materials and develop curriculum for you!
- Proven training techniques. We train you to administer programs locally and train other adults to work with the children.
IMPACT OF ASAP-HOSO PROGRAMS:
- Children drew fewer stereotypic science images at the end of the program than at the beginning, suggesting a broader view of science.
- Children assimilated the group and collaborative nature of the ASAP-HOSO science activities.
- 89% of surveyed parents reported that their children were "enthusiastic," or "super enthusiastic.
- 65% of parents responding to a ASAP-HOSO participant survey said that they talked about ASAP-HOSO science with their children;
- 76% said that their children were learning "a good bit" or "a great deal" of science, with another 23% reporting "some."
- Teachers reported that children increased their participation, questioning, initiating and peer assisting in their regular classrooms as well as higher student science ability after the children's ASAP-HOSO participation.
- Teachers report increased confidence, knowledge of science and family interactions around science.